With the facilities available in our new school building, we are able to have cookery and baking classes. We are really enjoying these sessions especially when we can eat our wonderful creations.
Cookery and baking lessons teach us an essential life skill as we all need to eat. We learn how quickly and easily a tasty, healthy dish can be prepared such as French toast or pasta sauces. Measuring and weighing are also practised. Good hygiene practices and social skills such as turn taking, sharing and team work are encouraged during each class.
Recipes are carefully chosen to ensure that the ingredients are readily available, they are easy to follow with a short preparation and cooking time to allow for the important tasting at the end. Sometimes we even discover new foods that we enjoy which we may not have tasted before.
Even though we all have different likes and dislikes, our most popular recipe so far has been individual pizzas. Here each child creates their own pizza with their favourite toppings.
Other popular recipes include pancakes, chocolate cake, queen cakes/fairy cakes, red velvet cupcakes, apple crumble, French toast, hummus, garlic bread.
We hope that these lessons will lead to a lifelong interest in cooking and baking.
Check Out Some of Our Recipes
175g self-raising flour
1 tablespoon caster sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
pan, bowl, whisk/spoon
1. Put the dry ingredients in the bowl and mix them.
2. Beat the egg and milk together.
3. Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
4. Whisk until smooth.
5. Heat the oil in the pan.
6. Ladle in the mixture and cook until bubbles appear.
7. Flip the pancake over and cook on the other side until brown.
8. Serve warm with your favourite topping.
RED VELVET CUPCAKES
125g caster sugar
150g butter at room temperature
175g self-raising flour
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
4 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons red food colouring
Cupcake/bun cases, cupcake/bun tin, mixing bowl, wooden spoon, wire rack, electric mixer/hand whisk
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Put cupcake/bun cases into a cupcake/bun tin.
3. Put butter/margarine and sugar into a bowl.
4. Mix them together with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs, flour, cocoa powder, water and food colouring to the butter and sugar.
6. Mix everything together until smooth.
7. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake/bun cases and bake for 20 minutes.
8. Allow to cool for a few minutes before moving the cupcakes to a wire tray.